So, you’ve brought home the leftovers from Thanksgiving and now you’re stuck with the task of figuring out what to do with all that food. Don’t fret—you can make several easy meals out of it, many of which will be healthy as well as tasty! In fact, with these ideas, the leftover turkey won’t seem so bad next time around!
1. Roasted turkey and vegetable soup
Roasted turkey and vegetable soup is one of the best ways to use up leftover turkey. This recipe makes a creamy, delicious soup that’s perfect for cold winter days. You can make it with or without chicken broth but using the broth will give you a heartier dish.
- To make this soup, start by roasting some vegetables: chop up your onion, carrots, celery, and garlic and toss them in olive oil until they’re lightly browned on all sides.
- Add water, cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste along with chopped thyme if desired.
- Add your roasted veggies, along with either homemade turkey stock or canned low-sodium chicken broth (be sure to check the label!), fresh thyme leaves, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, salt, and pepper. Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender or put everything into a blender and blend until smooth; adjust seasoning as needed. Ladle into bowls and top each bowl with crumbled bacon bits and grated Parmesan cheese. Serves 4
2. Turkey and Black Bean Enchiladas
These enchiladas are made with leftover turkey, black beans, and sweet potatoes simmered in a flavorful green chili sauce. The cheese and avocado on top provide a nice balance of flavor and creaminess. They’re perfect for making ahead and enjoying later.
3. Turkey Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette
Meal Prep Instructions:
- Start with a bed of mixed greens or spinach leaves.
- Top with leftover turkey, grated carrots and apples, dried cranberries, and chopped walnuts.
- Drizzle with cranberry vinaigrette (a mix of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, maple syrup, and honey) for a satisfying salad.
4. Curried Turkey and Rice
Curried turkey and rice are delicious dishes that taste great and make good use of all the leftovers you have.
All you need for this dish are
- cooked white rice
- ground turmeric
- ground cumin
- leftover turkey or chicken
- peas or beans of your choice (canned or fresh)
- frozen mixed vegetables
- and crushed garlic.
- Cook the rice. Then add in the spices and continue cooking until they are well-blended into the rice.
- Next, add the turkey or chicken, whichever you are using, and then any other ingredients.
- Cook for 20 minutes over medium heat flame.
- Lastly, if desired, stir in frozen mixed vegetables just before serving.
5. Sautéed Broccoli with Mushrooms and Onions:
Sauced broccoli with mushrooms and onions is a quick and easy way to take advantage of those random leftover veggies from thanksgiving dinner
6. Turkey And Sweet Potato Hash
If you are looking for a great way to use up your leftover turkey, try making this turkey and sweet potato hash. This recipe is easy and will only require four ingredients that you likely have in your kitchen already. All you need is
- one cup of leftover turkey
- one medium-sized sweet potato
- half an onion (chopped)
- and two tablespoons of olive oil.
- Preheat Oven. Cut the sweet potatoes into chunks and place them on a baking sheet with the chopped onions.
- Drizzle with olive oil before putting it in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Remove from the oven and add the cooked turkey before stirring everything together.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving hot with eggs or toast on the side!